Sunday, November 6, 2011

An attitude of gratitude day 6

Today is Bear's birthday. So, today I am thankful for him. From the time I can remember (and I have a freakishly long, good memory) all I ever wanted to be was a mom. I played with baby dolls, my Barbies were arranged into families, I loved babies, I wanted 8 kids! So when Gary and I got married we decided to have a family RIGHT away. Well, it actually took about a year, but finally we found out we were going to have a baby. It wasn't easy. I was SO SICK. It was challenging, I knew where every bathroom in every building on BYU campus was. Which ones were more private than others. That was a time when ultrasounds were not common, so I didn't know what we were having, but I REALLY wanted a boy. I loved being pregnant, except for the constant throwing up. It was amazing to feel that baby move and kick. And finally the day came and that baby was born! My dreams were coming true. I always tell Bear he was the one who made me a mom.
He has been a joy. Ok, the teenage years were not always joyful. But he is so much fun. Bear has the ability to fit in anywhere, I am grateful for that. I am so tha kful for his sense of humor, his weird voices and random stories. His big sensitive heart. He has a fabulous voice and I love to hear him sing. I am anxiously watching him navigate this grown up life. It is not always easy to be the oldest, to be the one that blazes the trail. We all love him, I love him the MOST of course. But look forward to the day some awesome woman takes that place. So today I am thankful for Gary James Chelson III, aka Bear. He made me a mom, my dream job!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog. I so enjoyed my interactions with Bear - and that was during his teenage years. You have a great family.

    ReplyDelete