Thursday, November 14, 2013

There are those days.

    I am president of our high school Booster Club. Not because I am particularly qualified, but because I was available. And after three years, well this is the last one. Last night was the Fall Sports Award Night. We are in charge of that. Before the dinner I had a meeting trying to recruit more people and discuss business. It was a long evening and I came home EXHAUSTED. Just as I walked in the door my children........ages 12, 17 and 20......started some crazy LOUD argument about cleaning and computer using and a bunch of other nonsense. It was ridiculous and discouraging. I couldn't believe the dumbness of it all. And I felt like I must have failed in some major way, that they would be arguing like little toddlers. So, I was not feeling very grateful about anything at all.
    Today is a new day, although it is nearly over. Tonight was Parent/Teacher conferences, I figured out in my parenting career so far, I have had 155 conferences with teachers. Every year I am tempted to just skip them. Generally speaking I know what my kids are doing and what their grades are. But then I worry that the teachers will think I am a bad mom or my kids will think I don't care, so I end up going. And the whole point of this was to express my gratitude for our schools. The great majority of my children's teachers have been dedicated and amazing people. And I am so grateful. I am grateful we live in a small enough town that I know their teachers. I know they are people who live good lives. They work so hard to ensure that my kids learn and achieve all that they can. They give them knowledge and skills that as much I wish I could give them, I can't. And it is always a bonus for my kids to have a variety of really awesome adults in their lives. But I am also grateful that P/T conferences are over for the semester!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Gotta go tomorrow. I also am always tempted to skip but I don't because I get irritated with people who skip mine. 22 down and 3 of the most important to do tomorrow. I love your kids!

    ReplyDelete