Thursday, March 14, 2013

Band!

 I am going to admit something kind of embarrassing. When my oldest five children were growing up I wanted them to be popular. To have lots of friends, be involved in everything, basically be popular. And that probably isn't a terrible thing really. But I spent a lot of time worrying about it. Now, with my last two I am different. If they have only one friend, fine! They don't want to be in student council, fine! They don't get invited everywhere, fine! And so on.


  And that is where band has come in. Both Natalie and Brigham LOVE band. Natalie especially. She actually seems to have a group of friends in band and is happy. Today I chaperoned the high school band and her junior high honors band. Brigham was with the rest of the junior high bands. It was just awesome. There were NO behavior or discipline problems. Everyone got along. At dinner I got to eat with a big group of 7-8th grade boys. What delightful company, and so willing to eat my leftovers. And the music was outstanding. I am so grateful for music and specifically our band program. I sub regularly in the bands and I have to say, I could never do it. That Mr. Bennett can take those young students from nothing to what I heard tonight is nothing short of miraculous! There were times today that I stopped reading because the music was too beautiful not give my full attention. I LOVE BAND!! And the place it gives my kids.  

1 comment: