Saturday, September 3, 2011

Has it really come to this?

We brought Hannah to Utah this weekend. More about that in a minute. Earlier today we picked Bear up at his apartment and drove down to Provo to watch the BYU-Ole Miss game. They have it playing on a movie type screen in the Wilkinson Center, kinda like the student union building. It is fun to see all of the students wearing their game day shirts and cheering. My head hurts, it COULD be from crying, so I am sitting in the Memorial Lounge. This was here when I was at BYU. And as I watch the students come and go I can hardly believe it has come to this day. The day I have 3 children in college. I sat in this lounge a LOT because it has an awesome bathroom nearby. Important because I threw up multiple times while pregnant. Both Bear and Porter were born while we attended school here. As I watch the students I notice some things haven't changed. They all look squeaky clean, even the wanna be rebels with their saggy pants. Sorry boys, the clean cut face and haircut give you right away! The girls are all "shiny"---- that is how my mom described the sister missionaries on Temple Square. There are a TON of pregnant people here! That hasn't changed a bit. And lots of very young very lovable couples. And I swear that was just Gary and me. Some things have changed. The CougarEat is now vendors, kinda sad. The step down lounge where many of us gathered every day at 3:00 to watch Days of Our Lives is gone. Every one has a laptop and cell phone. The freshman look waaaaay too young to be in college! But it still feels like BYU. I think everyone loves their alma mater, I know I do.
This weekend has been something I have been dreading. Bringing Hannah down to Salt Lake to start at the LDS Business College---LDSBC. In fact I have shed many tears, and probably will continue to do so. It is so hard to let your children go. Admittedly some days seem easier than others! As we were packing her 18 years of existence up I kept thinking about the curly haired little baby girl and toddler. And the little grade schooler who struggled in math and reading and speech and then overcame it all. And how mean the other girls were in junior high, those were tough years. I always wanted my daughters to be strong and opinionated and able to stand up for themselves and what is right.Well, I got that! But I worry I haven't taught Hannah enough. Does she know how great her worth is? To both her earthly and Heavenly parents? How to depend on prayer? Not to walk alone after dark? I think she knows how to clean a toilet? No one tells you, or at least I didn't listen, that from the very minute they place that innocent infant in your arms you start to prepare them for the day they leave home. Maybe I should have read the fine print! I am so proud of her and while I joked that she should consider that online Stephens Henagar college and we could spend all of our days together I am excited for her opportunities. The great fun and learning ahead. I am relieved she has at least one nice roommate. We have only met one. I can't begin to express how grateful I am we won't be leaving her alone. She has big dreams and big goals. It is just a little sad she will be calling me to share them, instead of me living them right next to her. But as Disney has taught us, it is the circle of life! So I will tell myself hakuna matata,wipe my tears and let her go! But I ask again, has it really come to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment